The Student News Site of Palo Verde High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Homecoming King 2023, De’Shawn White

This is De’Shawn White, A 19-year-old senior attending Palo Verde High School which had won Homecoming King. De’shawn White arrived in Blythe, California during his elementary years. He has 1 sister and lives with his grandmother. White’s peers describe him as a social, fun, and loud person. De’Shawn is known by many people and liked by many, while he says he frustrated many teachers with his antics. During De’Shawn’s freshman year, he was very ignorant and didn’t care much about school. De’Shawn advises that the underclassmen, specifically in 9th and 10th grade, “Don’t procrastinate in so many assignments. You’ll fall behind 9th and 10th. I didn’t listen”. After his junior year, De’Shawn became more respectful and responsible, he started doing his work and becoming more interactive in school, De’Shawn also played Football during his sophomore year. During his senior year in high school, De’Shawn was nominated to be homecoming king, with what he described as low hopes of being voted for. De’Shawn stated “It actually surprised me when I got announced king. I didn’t actually think people would vote for me.” He was very emotional, and he started to cry. His grandmother was there. De’Shawn felt that moment was very special because his grandmother was there and he also had said most of his family were never really successful in things like this. He noticed a difference in how people treated him after he became Homecoming King. Before he was king, not many people noticed him around, but after he won, nearly everyone noticed him, and he heard his name being shouted by a lot of people. More people started coming up to him to shake his hand. All the attention had given De’Shawn a morale and ego boost, he felt like he achieved something huge. De’Shawn White’s plans after high school are to attend Palo Verde College for one year and then transfer to being an actor or an archeologist or entrepreneur. De’Shawn hopes to leave a legacy behind in high school. He hopes kids will look up to him and not follow his earlier example and be more like who he is now. He hopes kids will do well in school.  That is De’Shawn White, a very social, fun, caring, person who was selected Homecoming King for the class of 2024.