The Upcoming Españolandia Club Trip

The Españolandia club is one of the larger clubs here at PVHS that gathers and encourages students with or without Hispanic and Spanish speaking heritage to use Spanish more as well as continuing to learn through discussions and activities. This is the basis of the club according to club President and advisor Mr. Armenta. The club also does cultural activities that expose students to Hispanic culture, holding events on campus year-round. Some of these events include celebrations during the school day of “Día de Los Muertos” or in English the “Day of the Dead” and “Cinco de Mayo”. However, the club is preparing for something different with a major off campus trip and event. 

On April 22, 2023, the club will be taking a trip to the “Cheech Marin Center for Chicano Art and Culture” in Riverside California. From there the club will go and visit “Six Flags” in Los Angeles. Some of the goals of the trip as stated by Armenta are to have the students get together while participating in the culture and talking about it before and during travel as well as while at the locations. At the art museum the focus will be on the artists and trends in where Hispanic people have been involved. While at Six Flags they will discuss the importance of being bi-lingual and how it is beneficial for having a job. When asked what he is looking forward to most, Señor Armenta responded “to consolidate a group of people that see each other with respect and that everybody embrace their cultural backgrounds. It doesn’t matter where they’re from, but sharing the knowledge, food, customs, and beliefs, let them be exposed to that and that’s really something extraordinary.”

The trip will be paid for through funding gathered during the clubs previous on-campus fundraisers and events. They will also be holding another Españolandia Day fundraiser coming up soon on March 31, 2023. 

Thinking ahead into the future, Señor Armenta also plans on possibly taking his AP Spanish students and the Españolandia club next school year to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery Day of the Dead celebration in Los Angeles. It is the biggest Day of the Dead event outside of Mexico in the entire world.